Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Swiedebie















I have discovered a shop with the most awesome dolls and sock creatures! Swiedebie is wonderful! Every item is one of a kind!

I would like to introduce you to the shop owner, here is a bit about her in her own words:


"My name is Swee, I am a Singaporean, a fashion designer and a stay at-home-mom living in The Netherlands. I like to execute my ideas and love on things I create for my family, home and currently my sock monsters.

Last year during the winter, I decided I do not want to sit at home and just lay my hands on household chores and baby, so I started making dolls of all kinds. I experimented with a lot fabrics I have in mind. Then I came about using socks, which are our usual almost daily fashion need, to produce them into MONSTER dolls. I played with their faces, expressions, their characters, and even thought of giving them adorable names, which children and collectors can relate to.

I began designing my monsters in basic shapes and tested the local demand in The Netherlands. Many Dutch are curious and amazed the socks can be produced into an interesting end product. From there on, I characterized my own monsters, played with more colours, and created stories for each of them.

Come to think of it, if I do not make dolls now, I will probably be a freelance bridal designer or a freelance fashion designer/stylist, which I used to do before I become a mother. :)

I love movies. Before I was expecting my daughter, I used to go to the cinemas in Singapore twice a week. I was a movie fan. However, my child’s arrival kept me busy and I enjoyed my new pastime with her. Now, I catch movies in the television when occasionally they showcase some dated ones. I love romantic and comedy movies. There are so many movies I love, and I shall make do with these two. 'The Holiday' starring Cameron Diaz, Jude Law (Oh my… he's cute!), Kate Winslet (she is a natural) and Jack Black. The next one I can remember loving is watching Johnny Depp’s Pirates of the Caribbean, where I love this actor’s hidden dark comedy acts.

My future personal plan is to establish myself in my Dutch, my business degree, and of course, to travel to many countries (so I can buy supplies… ;P), and to watch my daughter grow into a fine young lady of who she is.

I love OOAK handmade things. There are so many wonderful artists in the world and so many favourites. One of my favourites I will like to share is Kreativlink - www.kreativlink.etsy.com. She is very unique and versatile in her journal designs. I am a huge fan of hers, and got my very first Etsy purchase of her red suede leather journal. I made a sock monster (inspired by her works) for a team's challenge, here you can see my work - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31790666#.

Also, I love the works of Ayca, from Ayawedding - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7863487. Her works are delicate and pretty, reminds me of the time when I used to work in the bridal industry back in Singapore. She is also a very lovely person with a beautiful heart and her beauty is reflected on her works."

With so much creativity within this shop, it is hard to pick three favorites. I managed to do so though, so here goes. The Elena Babushka Plush is adorable! Elena is a lovely little Babushka made out of black linen added with an adorable piece of Japanese linen. Her eyes are made of felt and detailed with a bubbly watery feel to it. She is perfect for people of all ages!

The Louie Doopie is a mini, but packs much personality! His vivid red and white clothing and gold hair are real attention grabbers. He is about the size of your palm. So cute!

Lastly, there is Medoosee! She was inspired by Medusa. Made of bright pink socks, she is sure to be a favorite of many.

To see these one of a kinds creations and much more, visit http://swiedebie.etsy.com.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you soooo much, Jennifer! I am very honoured to be featured in your blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to learn more about Swee! She's such a sweet and talented person - no wonder she creates such cute and happy things! :D
    And I'm honored to be mentioned, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great feature for a fabulous artist! I love her bubbly personality :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I adore this wonderful doll maker! She has just unlimited talent and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how lovely feature:) having a great friend like Swee is amazing:) with all her incredible talent,she is a great mother:)
    I love her amazing monsters,and her lovely heart
    thank you so much my dear I am very honoured to be in here:) big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to read more about you, Swee. Thanks for sharing your experience it us. Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing and fun monsters. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute shop! I love reading her experiences and how she came to make her cute monsters! :)

    [inkihandmade.blogspot.com]
    [inkihandmade.etsy.com]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swee's work is wonderfully imaginative. It was great to read this interview and learn a bit more about this really sweet person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! It's nice to see other blogs featuring Etsians! Please stop by and visit my featured seller interview as well:)

    www.akanedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete